9.06.2011

A Clash of Kings


A Clash of Kings

By George R.R. Martin

I couldn’t help myself! I know that I need to be focusing on my teeny tiny bit of reading that I have for school, but I mean, come on! Who says a gal can’t balance a PhD program in literature with the need to indulge in some pleasure reading?

Anyway, I could not wait to know what happened with Dany… let’s be honest, that’s why I just had to dive into the second book right away. But MAN, Martin kept me waiting!

The book, which immediately follows A Game of Thrones, is the insanity that consumes this fictional world after Joffrey’s ascension to the throne. There are now four kings and one queen… though technically this changes throughout the course of the book. Nothing is certain and no character is safe- which I appreciate because Martin is willing to kill off anyone if it makes sense to the story. This creates MAJOR tension and, at one point, had me so sad that I wasn’t sure if I really wanted to read the other books and spend time with a man who was so eager to kill off characters I have fallen in love with.

I wish I could go into plot specifics, but if you haven’t read these books and you are going to, I don’t want to ruin it. If you haven’t read these books but you aren’t going to, then, well, you are lame, but also, it would be beyond confusing and incredibly tedious.

One thing I absolutely love about these books is their unpredictability! Let this be known: I am a world-class predictor of plot and have ruined countless books and movies for myself when the ending comes along, I roll my eyes, and mutter, “predictable.” Not this. Every time I think I know what is going to happen, events I am usually eager for, Martin completely surprises me! I am often majorly bummed by his choice for the turn of events, but it feels so much more like real life with disappointments and so much waiting to be revealed.

These books have become such a treat for me, something I save until the end of hectic days filled with reading, writing, drowning in literary theory, and massaging my poor carpal tunneled wrists. Once you read the first, you have to read the second- just resign yourself to that before you even pick up the series. Martin has successfully created a comprehensive world that is larger than I can even comprehend.

Read this book. Though, if you have started the first, you really won’t be able to help yourself anyway

No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi