2.11.2010

Boy

Boy

By Roald Dahl

I rarely ever declare a book to be a “must read” but, if you are a fan of Roald Dahl, this is a MUST READ!

Boy is the story of Dahl’s childhood. Having been an avid fan of his children’s literature, I wasn’t sure what to expect from his autobiography. I worried that his outrageous style wouldn’t transfer properly or that he would turn into every other straight-laced writer describing every single second of his life (regardless of the significance or interest) in a completely mundane listing way.

I LOVED this book. Not only was it interesting and fun to read, but it provided unique historical accounts and, most amazingly, insight into his writing in general. I left this book understanding his style, his characters, his voice, his perspective, and his absurdity. The style is so smooth and enjoyable that I found myself reading at a rapid rate and then thirsting for more once I had turned the last page (you know, when you get to that point where you read the inserts, reviews, back cover…anything to prolong the experience).

Normally, I don’t feel the need to understand the inner workings of every author that I enjoy. But, in this instance, when we are dealing with children’s literature- which is so delightfully complicated and symbolic, Dahl’s background sheds an unexpectedly fascinating light onto his work and inspirations (as well as his dark sense of humor).

If you love Dahl, read this book!

If you don’t love Dahl, read this book anyway- as it is compelling enough to stand on its own as a worthwhile piece of literature- and you’ll be a fan by the time you put it down.



No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi