5.12.2012

Fugitives: Escape from Furnace 4



Fugitives: Escape from Furnace 4
By Alexander Gordon Smith

If I could rewrite this book, I could include every important plot element within 20-30 pages---- if I was being really wordy.

I would say that 2% of this book is necessary plot while 98% is way-too-long descriptions of violence.

Maybe that appeals to you, but it certainly didn’t really work for me. And this from someone who generally enjoys violence in young-adult literature.

I found myself skimming through chapters just to get to any new plot device or bit of information that would advance the narrative. It would come maybe once a chapter, MAYBE.

This book is clearly written by a guy for young guys. It reminded me of a hundred horrible movies where cars get blown up, helicopters fall from the sky, faces get ripped off, one-on-one combat scenes on the edge of a rooftop, and you, as a viewer, don’t really know why it is happening but it doesn’t seem to matter. You are there because you apparently like this sort of nonsensical, gravity/biology/physics- defying action, not because you give a shit about motivation and plot cohesion.

While reading this, I felt like I could easily map out exactly what Gordon Smith was watching while he wrote. There were almost identical moments or images from other movies- most obviously Dawn of the Dead, Hellboy, Silent Hill,  The Incredible Hulk, and so many others that I had trouble keeping track and immediately regretted not writing them down.

This is the worst of the bunch so far. Yet, I still can’t stop because now I have to know how Gordon Smith is going to resolve everything. Even though I had to wade through WAY too many random fight scenes, I still want to know if he will redeem himself. I have to remind myself that these books were clearly NOT meant for my enjoyment--- and, I also feel like I have to finish because the presence of mental illness in these novel is so horribly offensive that it will be absolutely perfect for my dissertation! Horray, time not entirely wasted!


No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi