4.20.2012

Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?



Is Everyone Hanging Out Without Me?
By Mindy Kaling

Despite what my “to read” section of my blog and kindle say, I am generally not into celebrity memoirs. To be honest, Mindy Kaling (Kelly on The Office) is not really that interesting to me- I don’t really like her character and have no real need to find out what she is like as an actual person. But the title of the book got me. If my life has taught me nothing, it is that this is a valid and almost universal fear- especially amongst women- even after we are into our late-twenties and don’t want to admit that we ever worry about what anyone else is doing.

ANYWAY- that is why I decided to read this book.

I am not someone who generally laughs out loud- I tend to smile and think “that’s funny” but not really break into the world of sound- unless other people are there and societal pressures indicate that I demonstrate my enjoyment of things and understanding of humor by emitting a audible laugh. But I actually laughed out loud while reading this book- at multiple times!

This book is delightfully charming and makes me think, unexpectedly, that I should be friends with Kaling as we clearly have a similar sense of humor. She likes to shop a lot though and I am a notorious online shopper as I detest going to physical stores, trying clothes on, and taking more than 15 minutes from start to finish.

She writes about her childhood as an unpopular, chubby, and comedy-obsessed girl--- her entrance into entertainment and The Office, her views of romance, her views of herself, her views of body image: who cares about all that? She shares my love of leaving parties ninja-style (without saying goodbye), so we are clearly on the same level.

This book doesn’t sound like it would be good, but it is. It really is. It was hilarious- except the part about revenge fantasies. That part was oddly boring and annoying to me. I don’t know why.

Anyway, is this the best book ever written? Will it challenge your views on the world? Will it inspire you? Will it build up your confidence?

No. But it is an easy, quick read and will make you laugh. Which is sometimes the best kind of book.

No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi