5.17.2011

Mockingjay

Mockingjay

By Suzanne Collins

I’m at a loss of words. Seriously. (Well, maybe not since I clearly have enough to rant with.)

My coworker, who recommended these to me in the first place, said about the ending, “It’s not that it’s a bad ending…it’s just… I dunno….not right.” At the time, I thought she was being kinda annoyingly nondescript. Now, I understand exactly what she was talking about.

This series was a lot of fun to read. The first two books were wild adventures, dark scenarios, and the heroic rise of a very strong female lead. I loved losing myself in this cruel world where a young girl is forced to channel her most animal instincts, surprise everyone- even herself, and triumph. This book, the last in the series…well, I’d almost rather pretend it never existed.

I really can’t say much without giving it all away. But MY GOD Collins!! Way to cram morals down your readers’ necks! We get it, war is bad, but your method of showing this is not only over-the-top, but also, with the ending in mind, somewhat illogical. It was just too much.

Katniss went from an incredible heroine, to an obnoxious, angst-ridden annoyance. Everyone sucked. Everything sucked. Bitch, bitch, bitch, moan, moan, moan. And yet, shockingly, the two boys continue to want her. Why? WHY? I was also annoyed that suddenly, she needs to be rescued all the time. She is always super injured and needing people to take care of her. Always more injured than the two leading males, who are always in worse situations. Poor Katniss, just another in a long line of women who need to be rescued.

Truthfully, already engaged in the adventure, I was willing to ignore most of, if not all of, the annoying details and methods utilized in Mockingjay. I was in it. I needed to know what happened. I had been warned that the ending was a problem, but thought it would be based on which of the hot dudes she chooses to be with.

It just… I don’t know. I know understand my coworker’s ellipses in her description.

The storytelling was clearly going downhill but then it just became so painfully lazy that I literally threw my head back and called out in frustration, “Oh Jesus.” Fernando, my dog and the only one around to hear me, was sad for my literary loss.

Again, I don’t want to give anything away, but the ending sucked. If you’ve read it, please explain to me Katniss’ ending “yes” vote, and then the fact that what she was voting for never happens and she acts relieved about it. I mean, what the hell is going on with storytelling and consistency nowadays?! Also, the ending jump is so lame I had to stop myself from gagging.

Yet, still, despite the crap that is the end of this last book, the series was still a fun read (albeit a bit less fun with each turn of the page in this last book). I think the best way to explain my Hunger Games experience is this: It’s the journey, not the destination.

No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi