5.05.2011

The Hunger Games

The Hunger Games

By Suzanne Collins

I decided to read this book because a coworker of mine absolutely adores the series and talks about it all the time. But, she is also into Twlight and other such young-adult nonsense. But then I saw on a book review site that another friend of mine, one who reads decent books most of the time, also read the series and had very positive reviews. I figured, why not? I only have a couple months before my schedule will be so packed full of assigned reading so I might as well have fun while I can!

And so I began The Hunger Games.

And from the first page, I was eager for the next!

This is the first in a trilogy about the menacing, heartless Capitol, which keeps the lesser people, those in the twelve districts, in line and aware of their utter lack of power by starving the people, enforcing insanely strict laws, and, once a year, sending two teenage representatives from each district to battle against one another to the death. This event that results in the deaths of 23 kids, is broadcast to every district and mandatory viewing for all people. I suppose it might be ruining one small moment of tension, but oh well- our heroine, Katniss Everdeen, ends up going to the Hunger Games in place of her younger sister, whom she knows would stand no chance in the arena.

I expected this to be the story where the kids all pull together and refuse to commit violence. I expected there to be some really cheesy lesson about friendship or purity, something where everything comes together at the last minute, and the hero never really has to get her hands dirty.

Thankfully, this was not the case.

The Hunger Games is brutal. And while there is the obligatory (because this is a young-adult series) teen romance, this a book that will keep you turning the page, eager for more- so much so that you might even stay up way too late and then be exhausted at work the next morning- but it is totally worth it.

I found myself eager to get a spare few minutes to gobble up more of Katniss and her adventure. I am always happy to find a book for young women where the heroine is strong, capable, and willing to do whatever necessary- in this case, not even for herself, but for her loved ones. I don’t want the women of tomorrow to have been influenced by damsel-in-distress types who lean on men to take care of them and solve their problems. Katniss kicks ass. Katniss is smart. Katniss is motivated by far more than romance.

There are always going to be minor annoyances when dealing with books intended for teens, but, happily, The Hunger Games rushed through the silliness to tell the story of a really exciting adventure. Is this book going to challenge you? It is going to make you reconsider politics, religion, perspective, or humanity- no, probably not. But sometimes I just want some candy. I’m not looking for sustenance, I am looking for some cheap thrills. And I got them.

Honestly, I just want to hurry up and finish this review so I can start on the next book and see where the story goes!

No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi