3.21.2011

Shit My Dad Says

Shit My Dad Says

By Justin Halpern

I wasn’t sure what to expect from this book. In truth, I thought it would contain 100 or so pages with quick quotes from the dad that would make me laugh for a minute and then I’d be over it. My expectations were not high: kinda like when you go to see a movie like “Hot Tub Time Machine.” You know from the beginning that you aren’t about to be dazzled or inspired to contemplate the meaning of life: you are there to have some stupid laughs and not have to use your brain for a couple hours.

Shit My Dad Says definitely delivered on the comedy but also ended up telling an honest story of a real family who love one another. I couldn’t help but be reminded of my own quirky family and the stupid/silly/completely bizarre things we do growing up and the ways our parents reply.

I’m still not entirely sure that I fully believe his portrayal of his father. There are definitely some quotes, worked into the quote-only sections between chapters, that sound like something a writer would exaggerate for the sake of comedy. But, by the end of the book, I guess I didn’t really care whether or not all the scenarios were true to fact or exaggerated. The portrait he painted of his father seems pretty real, though I would absolutely love to see Sam Halpern in action.


Would I call it the best book ever written? No, of course not, let’s not be silly. Not even close. But will it make you laugh? Will it make you reminisce about your own family? Will it remind you of the actual face of familial love? Absolutely.


Normally, I have more to say but this isn’t really that kind of book. Just enjoy it for what it is and the smile it will surely give you.

1 comment:

  1. We have a very well-written review recommending it, for moms! She found it a pleasant surprise and a fun insight into another type of parenting.
    http://thenoisybookworm.blogspot.com/2011/03/shit-my-dad-says.html

    ReplyDelete

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi