5.19.2010

Mr Playboy: Hugh Hefner and the American Dream

Mr. Playboy: Hugh Hefner and the American Dream

By Steven Watts

Yes, before you even ask, I read this because I am a fan of “Girl’s Next Door” (the original girls, please) and I only watch it for the articles.

I read this book because of that show and also because I love a good biography, especially regarding people with interesting, important, or pioneering lives. I was expecting to learn a lot about the sexual revolution, feminism in the US, and how a person can climb from the status quo to incredible success.

This is what I learned…

1. This book is written like an academic thesis. No flare. No storytelling. No creativity. FACTS. FACTS. And FACTS, with no room for real writing.

2. Steven Watts did a LOT of research and he want you to know about it. Listen, Steve, I don’t give a crap about every single human being that has ever worked with or for Hugh Hefner. I don’t need to know where his publisher’s first assistant grew up and where and when she was educated. This is a biography of one person- MEANING that you don’t need to have researched everything and everyone that ever came in contact with your central subject. I get it. You did a lot of work. That is very nice. Thank you for boring the shit out of me.

3. Hugh Hefner is a jerk. Watts was trying to remain impartial, which I appreciate, but holy crap. Hefner is just as sexist as people think. Hefner is completely self-absorbed and views everyone else (including the women he supposedly “loved”) as instruments in his success. Nothing more.

4. Hugh Hefner is an idiot. He doesn’t know how to write but doesn’t want to believe that anyone is better than him. He doesn’t know how to run a business but would rather watch it crash and burn than admit that other people know more than him. He has confessed to only be attracted to women who are less intelligent than him (that’s me being PC. Let’s be blunt- he wants to date morons who are even dumber than him- Hello Kendra) because he doesn’t like women ever knowing more than him. Needless to say, I will never be a girlfriend.

Do you need to read this insanely long book- eh hem, I mean research project? No. You do not.

Watch the show instead, at least it acknowledges that it is ridiculous.



No comments:

Post a Comment

did you read the book? what did you think?

 
Elegant de BlogMundi